Do you know that 8 out of 10 people will read the headline, but only 2 out of 10 will read the rest. The challenge is how to make your article something worth reading to the end.
This means that the headlines determines whether the surfer want to read the rest of the post. And by writing great headlines, will pull the readers. It will also make the reader find it useful he will book mark your blog or even subscribe your live RSS feeds. As you know an RSS live bookmark feeds only shows the headline from that specific blog.
And guess what if the headline is not interesting. You would not ‘right click’ it to a new browser tab for you reading consumption.
We all know the importance of a powerful headline to get attention of internet audience. But writing a great headline isn't as easy as it sounds. It is a whole new knowledge of its own. Its copywriting.
There is an approach to force your potential customers to learn more. This approach is relating it with basic human motivators. According to psychologist Abraham Maslow, human behavior is always the result of one or more of five basic needs. He listed these needs in a sequence that he refers to as "the hierarchy of human needs."
What’s close to basic needs would surely attract readers, According to Maslow they are (from the lowest to the highest) :
- Physiological - Basic human needs include hunger, thirst, shelter, clothing and sex.
- Safety (Security) - Human need for physical, emotional and financial security.
- Social (Affiliation) - Human need for love, affection, companionship and acceptance in a group.
- Esteem (Self Esteem) - Human need for achievement, recognition, attention and respect.
- Self-actualization - Human need to reach their full potential like what you want to be known as in history , what you really want to do in life.
When you take consideration of those above mentioned needs, and incorporate them in the headline.
If you can make a headline that really touches the basic human needs, they will be very happy and flock to your blog to read the article. Especially if the headline is really talking about a current issue or situation that the reader is facing.
A pregnant mother will definitely be involved emotionally for headline saying : " How to pass the First Trimester of Pregnancy with happiness and joy". Or "The Correct Guide of Legitimate Online Money Making" will touch people that have long searched the internet for a right , credible way to find money on the internet and not falling to money making schemes.
And remember the most important time is those couple of seconds when the reader reads the headline. Those 5 seconds of reading the headline is what matters most and will make the difference.
These are samples of headlines that will get your readers in emotions to read them.
- "How to Increase Your Traffic to 500% by Using This Simple SEO Strategy" , The how to are what I like the best. People’s basic need for the internet is finding information.
- “Double Your Income within the Next 6 months --Guaranteed!" This is a command type headline, Loyal readers will read it because of your authority in your niche. You command it, they follow it.
- “Announcing the breakthrough of E-marketing this century” This is a news type of headline, It is very effective for promoting your new product or services.But don't get too exaggerating.Be realistic.
One important aspect of creating the great headline is that we must deliver according to the expectations of the reader. That means genuine honesty is what the readers expect. They get 'pissed off' after reading that great article that they thought to be turns out to be trash content.
If you say that you will give your ground breaking experience about a topic, that means you must deliver it. If you promised unique steps then give them the steps and explain what’s so unique about it.
This is gaining customer trust and at the end increasing your credibility.
Read Also :
Avoiding Half Baked Articles
How to Start and income generating free blog